photo credit realbeauty.com
I am currently hearing the screams from both sides of the aisle for the title of this blog. If you want to complain / object, please comment freely.
Men & Women alike will disagree to this blog's title wholeheartedly.
But, believe me ladies you should not tell the truth in your profile. Please deify yourself as much as possible. The competition is stout. Thousands of women for men to choose from. The truth will not cut it. Sure when you get on the actual date the guy will probably figure out that you were misrepresenting yourself but you have a captive audience for a period of time and you never know you might impress him (wear that low cut shirt and smile a bunch).
Let's go to the polls.
Prototypical NYC Men: "I wish more ladies placed a more representative photo (i.e. not 5 years ago when she was 15 lbs lighter, a few wrinkles less, and her hair was several inches longer) and bio (i.e. if you don't really like watching the game with the boys, please don't atest to that in your description)"
Prototypical NYC Women: "I try to be very accurate about who I am and what type of man I am looking for in my profile"
First the guys. Guys let's not kid ourselves. We know this game is a crap shoot. I played it for a long time. We can investigate our potential dates only so much. At the end of the day, we can screen to the best of our abilitiies, but you will never know what you got until your are across from your date sipping that first dirty martini (stir do not shake, you will bruise the gin). All of this pre-screening for chemistry and reading profiles is a waste of time. To be honest I don't think I ever read a woman's profile prior to selecting and ultimately meeting her. I know most guys think like me (we are a pretty much a homogenous group). We search for the photos we like the best and then do some super-sleuthing to see if we think the photo is #1 accurate and #2 current. We typically use some of these determining factors:
If the girl is only showing her head and neck and all of sudden anything below the neck is blurry, blacked out or hidden behind a friend.... RUN to the next profile. Additionally, if you are wearing a winter coat to get to work and the girl's photo has her at Sagg Beach with sun shining... RUN... Lastly, check the hairdo. As you know women all have the same hairdo when it is in style. So if she is sporting an updo or a Rachel from Friends look.... RUN... If it is a professional photo....RUN...
Now you know how men are thinking and what they are doing when they are on these dating sites. I know you think you are accurate in your representation of yourself in your profile, I call BULLSHIT!
But with this said, I have some additional pointers to the one's I alluded to above to help you screw with the minds of guys and get on dates with guys way out of your league.
1. Get together with a girlfriend and take some cute candids; Use lighting and clothing and deep breaths to the best of your ability. Have fun with it and smile. We like smiles..
2. Go on a diet and lose some pounds before completing #1 if necessary. Now I am not saying to pull an Oprah, but just a couple pounds here..you will also feel better about yourself.
3. Get your teeth cleaned before completing #1. Also white teeth detract us from looking at other stuff (like how fat you may be).
4. Don't airbrush, we can tell.. and as mentioned please don't use professional photos. It is tacky and it tips us off that your candids probably depict a more realistic picture that is probably not good..
5. Please place more than one photo. We don't like just one photo. We think you are hiding somethig.
6. Focus on the physical aspects of your profile; as mentioned previously, we hardly ever do much reading. If we do it is to choose amongst a smaller selection of women
7. Whatever you write, please keep it short. we have the attention span of a goldfish.
8. If you have very specific asks about what you are looking for in a man, please refer to #6 and #7. Typically, we will ignore what your asks are and contact you if you are hot anyhow. So, whatever you write, please keep it short. Actually come to think of it just a picture is fine!